Friday, June 15, 2007

Bow = Lyre

On Kyklos Apollon list there has recently been a discussion about the lyre and the bow. People eventually got to the conclusion that they are one and the same. Yesterday I was reading Pindar (Olympic Odes) and found this:

Many are the arrows I carry underneath
my arm in the quiver,
arrows that speak to those who understand them! But in general
it is necessary interpreters.


A poet carries arrows underneath his arm (where bards would carry lyres) and arrows that speak to those who understand? That seems quite like the same conclusion that the bow and the lyre are one and the same. I leave you with another of Pindar's disturbing sentences:

But now from the bows that strike from afar, of the Muses

PS: I am reading Pindar translated to Portuguese by Frederico Lourenço and am translating from Portuguese to English myself. This last sentence looks confusing in English with the words arranged like that, but if I were making a freer translation it would be:

But now from the bows that strike from afar, which the Muses own

No comments: